Tuesday 29 January 2013

(Day 192) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 97 D-59

sit-upschair-lifts
1000
Breakfast, lunch & dinner = January 7

I read somewhere once about the subject of writing and being a writer that every morning one should get up and set aside 4 hours to write. One didn’t have to actually write anything, but they couldn't do anything else.

I was awake for exactly 1 hour before I put pen to paper and even after the last paragraph, I still have nothing to write about. Of course, nothing has happened today-- yet. And I haven't quite sat here and done nothing. I drank 2 cups of coffee, combed my hair and shaved... And I thought about writing. Doesn't that count? I wrote seven thousand words in my novel in two days. That's gotta count for something, although my creative juices are feeling pretty drained as a result. Plus, I've added a daily entry to this notebook.

I changed my daily newspapers from the Korea Times to the international edition of the New York Times, so instead of reading Korean nationalistic crap day in and day out, I can read American nationalistic crap day in and day out with the facade of being global. As long as I don't have to read about “the Korean population aging in dog years” every day or how Korea has accomplished in a few decades what Europe did in centuries, I'll be a happy man. What these Kimchi Cowboys fail to realize is that without Americans support and European examples and guidance, it took just as long to get to the same level that Europe and the US managed to accomplish 100-200 years earlier. Not to belittle Korea’s accomplishments, but come on-- it's not hard to copy and Korea is renowned for the ability to copy things. Why not industrialization, too? Give credit where it’s due-- sure what Korea did was incredible, but it had lots of outside help and support. Making cheap products is useless if no one buys them and that's exactly what Korea’s export economy did, and why it's in trouble with a strong won now. Whatever. New newspaper, different viewpoints. Change is good, but I bet actually getting the paper delivered will turn into a hassle. Nothing is ever easy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment