Monday 28 January 2013

(Day 191) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 96 D-60

sit-upschair-lifts
1000
Breakfast, lunch & dinner = January 6

Sundays are so boring. So far, my only excitement for the day has been cleaning my bathroom. Since I only have a cold water tap and a toilet brush, cleaning involved lots of scrubbing with a brush and throwing buckets a very cold water everywhere, but very little actual “cleaning” since I have no other cleaning agents such as soap or hot water. And I've come to the conclusion that whomever designed the toilet never had to clean one because the outside ceramic has lots of tight spaces following the internal plumbing that the brush can't reach. As a result, some very black mold has taken up residence in these crevices. Finally, cleaning the bathroom is a lot more interesting than the train wreck of a rural life they call a drama that gets shown every Sunday morning. I just can't watch it. It makes me cringe with revulsion.

Every character is so petty and conniving towards every other character. I'm not sure if it accurately portrays Korean culture or people in general, but whatever it is, I find it sick and saddening. I feel depressed watching it and would almost rather stay in jail then to have to interact and socialize with people like that again.

The next show after is even worse because it is not a drama, but actually real people treating animals badly, except the hosts (and by extension in the Korean audience) think it’s cute. In North America, these people would be arrested for animal cruelty. In Korea, there's a TV show showcasing them. It’s on episode 598. To be fair, sometimes it shows vets helping some of these poor animals, so it's not entirely damned, but there have been times in the last 10 or so weeks that I've had to turn off the TV because I just couldn't bear to watch it anymore.

Pickled garlic last night, raw onions today at lunch-- my once clean bathroom is a very dangerous place to enter right now. Fire in the hole!

No comments:

Post a Comment