Wednesday 9 January 2013

(Day 172) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 77 D-79

sit-upschair-lifts
1000
Breakfast, lunch & dinner = January 1

The end of today marks the point of no return. Tomorrow, I'll inevitably write about this again-- it being the actual day that marks the Solstice of my time in a Korean prison. It doesn't end  my time locked up though, as I'll still have to deal with immigration immediately upon my release. Fun times.

The guard just came and told me my release date is March 27th. That's one day earlier than I thought. It also makes today the point of no return. It's all downhill from here on in!!!

re: Chillout Korea - Jane’s Americanology, Korea Times

The problem, Ms. Han, is all those catch phrases are in English and to us foreigners, including potential investors visiting, it comes off as desperate, nationalistic and pathetic. If it's meant to be for Koreans, so they can feel proud of their accomplishments on the world stage, then change all the advertising into Hangul. Visiting foreigners don't want to be told that Korea thinks that it's better than their own hometown (which may have been consistently voted one of the best city in the world to live in). It smacks of racism to a visitor. The visitor doesn't know that Korean culture is so competitive-- everybody is trying to outdo everybody else, It reflects in Korean advertising to other Koreans, but doesn't translate well culturally. It makes the entire country look insecure, like someone practicing daily affirmations in front of a mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment