Tuesday 27 November 2012

(Day 130) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 35 D-121

sit-ups push-ups chair-lifts
0 0 50
Breakfast, lunch & dinner = November 6


I've read a lot of books in the last 4 months. More than a couple, take place during times of war or conflict and in every one of them, just before the fighting starts, the combatants always get drunk or at least have a very strong drink. I've come to the opinion that before the 20th century, most of civilization was pretty much drunk off their asses all the time. It's no wonder life expectancy was so low and it took so long for civilization to advance. It wasn't until we sobered up that we could produce the industry and technological innovation we have had in the last century.

I got a job offer today. I'm not sure it's such a good idea to accept a job offer from a Korean in jail for shady business practices, given my feelings and rants about the subject before, but I have nothing to lose, being in jail myself right now. And if it gets me out of here earlier, because I’m making money and I have a job, I can't really complain.

I also got a letter for my mom. She had a lot of misconceptions of why I'm here. I set her straight. The info she got made it sound like I was sentenced to 5 months in jail, no matter what. This is simply not true. If I had $6000, I could be released today. I don't have that money, so in lieu of, I'm to stay here until the debt is paid-- which just so happens to be 120 days right now. The closer I get to April, the less money I have to pay. When I get to $0, they will let me go. I should get to $0 around March 28th. I haven't been convicted of a crime and sent it do time in jail. I've committed an offense and failed to pay the fine. That's why I'm in this jail for mostly white collar criminals, instead of a prison specifically for foreigners who have committed serious crimes in Korea such as drug smuggling or murder.

A Canadian embassy official is coming to visit me tomorrow morning. Looks like I have to set them straight too, so they stop telling people I was sentenced to five months. I wasn't sentenced to 5 months, I was sentenced to pay a fine or sit in jail until the debt is paid, whichever comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment