Monday 22 October 2012

(Day 94) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 81 C-2

sit-ups push-ups chairlifts
100 x 2 50 x 4 0

Breakfast 2 hard boiled eggs
soy milk
caramel flavoured bread
Lunch rice & kimchi
cucumber kimchi
fish cake and vegetables in hot water
Dinnerrice & kimchi
something deep fried (potato?)
kimchi in hot water with tuna

Monday. The beginning of a new week possibly my last week here (I can only hope...).

The Egyptian injured himself running away from immigration police. He's hobbling around on crutches. Everybody pities him. Except me. He shouldn't have run. When the cops are chasing you they know who you are and they will catch you eventually. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

That might sound funny coming from me, but I voluntarily turned myself over to the authorities and have been patiently waiting for my day in court. I probably could have been released from here long ago, but then I would have to pay for rent and food while I waited for this day. So far, it cost me a couple hundred dollars instead of more than a few thousand.

Anyway, back to the injured Egyptian. He doesn't speak any language but Arabic. I sympathize with him, but pity or feel sorry for him? Still no. And the reason why, is this guy is one ungrateful, little prick. Because of his injury, his mobility is limited. Other detainees have fetched his medication for him, folded and unfolded his bedding for him twice a day at roll call and not once, in any language, has he said "thank you" or even indicated that he was thankful. He acts like it's due to him and we are his servants. I have no pity, because the very least he could do is fold his blankets. His arms aren't broken, it's a sprained ankle, but he doesn't even do that. He just gets up and walks away, expecting his mother to come and clean up after him.

I know how to say "thank you" in at least 6 or more languages. I may not know much, but I know "beer" and "thank you." Showing appreciation for something when someone helps you is not that difficult. Sometimes I am also guilty of showing my lack of appreciation, but not every single time.

So anyway, I've been a real asshole and even though he's sleeping right next to me, I haven't helped him at all... There are better people than me here to cater to him.

I was taking a nap at lunch time. Everybody was sitting at the table in eager anticipation and called to me. I was startled and quickly jumped up to everybody's great amusement. Since lunch hadn't actually been served yet, I just grimaced, pulled the covers over my head and went back to sleep. When lunch finally did arrive it, it hardly seemed worth getting up at all. It took less than a minute to eat/drink, since I avoided the rice all together. This marks the 200th serving of rice and kimchi. And the 201st serving was kind enough to include kimchi in hot water with tuna...

Nothing much happened between servings. I slept. I drew. I read. That's about it. Just killing time for two more days, then killing time until they let me leave this stupid country, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment