Tuesday 23 October 2012

(Day 95) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 82 C-1

sit-ups push-ups chairlifts
4 x 50 4 x 50 5 x 40

Breakfast 2 hard boiled eggs
soy orange drink
bread with cream filling
Lunch rice & kimchi
chicken & potatoes
bean sprouts in hot water
Dinnerrice & radish kimchi
black beans & fish
potato in hot water

24 hours to go... the longest day ever.

It just got a whole lot more interesting around 3:00. An announcement was made to put away our bedding for the exercise period. As we were waiting to go out, I was told to gather all my stuff. I was going to Seoul. I quickly wrote a note for Rwanda and gave him JO's number and all the books. I hope JO gets them all back in November. Then I got processed out, all my luggage and money and driven to the Seoul Immigration Center I started at 82 days ago, and where I now sit, writing this.

Tomorrow my fate is decided and I either leave the country or go back to jail until they let me leave the country.

A huge group of labourers just arrived. It looks like they grabbed them right off the construction site. They're all wearing safety gear like a road crew might wear.

I was able to read an English newspaper today. You know have no idea how exciting that is for an information junkie like me.

 I have no idea of the nationality of everybody but 3 of the 8 new roommates there from Peru. Typical story-- working at a factory, owner probably turned them in, now won't pay them. They should be on their way to Hwaseong tomorrow. The other 5 inmates are all Asian. A couple of them look Mongolian, but its hard to tell exactly... So many look sort of Mongolian.

The Mokdong branch is a lot dirtier than any of the other facilities I've been in thus far. There are also mosquitoes. I've been in a closed environment for so long, I missed the whole mosquito season, but I've been bitten at least half a dozen times in as many hours. I guess they really don't care about the cleanliness too much. Most of the visitors are only here for a couple days at most, before they are moved to the Hwaseong facility for long term care or the airport for deportation. At Hwaseong, as documented previously, the detainees take care of cleaning up, for better or for worse. The one thing this place has going for it is more TV channels, although after 3 months, I've gotten pretty good at entertaining myself due to a lack of TV options.

Since this is now my third time here, I was bagged and tagged pretty quickly. They didn't take my photo or fingerprints, like the other two times. I was able to grab a few books from my bags and they just released me into the wild. I didn't even have to tell them my name or country of origin, they already knew.

When dinner was served, the dude who serves every meal greeted me by name and shook my hand. Dinner was slightly different today due to a different location, but essentially the same as the last 202 meals. I hope this is the last time I come here and everything goes well tomorrow.

Going to sleep tonight will be difficult. One of the new residents here just got upset because another one is snoring. He went off in a huff about 10 feet further away. The snoring got worse. This dude is in for a rude surprise when he gets transferred to Hwaseong and gets to spend an indefinite amount of time with 12 to 17 other snoring men in a room about the same size with nowhere else to go. I remember my first time here, so I know how he feels, but I have to laugh now because I know what he's in for. This is only the beginning of the whole deportation process.

No comments:

Post a Comment