Monday 18 February 2013

(Day 212) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 117 D-39

sit-upspush-upschair-lifts
100040
Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner = February 3
Today is Z’s mother's birthday. I forgot how old she is, but happy birthday M.

There's an inmate two cells over for mine that who's been here for at least 6 years on drug charges, according to Mr Kim. Sometimes, Mr Kim buys this inmate snacks and such because he has no money of his own. He’s very friendly with all the other inmates and is generally good-natured all the time. He also has a very large tattoo that covers his whole back that marks him as a bona-fide gangster.

Most Koreans are of the opinion that a tattoo equals gangster regardless of the size or location. That is simply not true. There are plenty of young Koreans with tattoos that are obviously not gangsters, but if you meet an older Korean with lots of tattoos, chances are just as likely that they really are gangsters.

The reason I mention this particular inmate is because he never has any visitors and he has no money. Obviously, the whole gang thing hasn't worked out for him so well, since his brothers seem to have forgotten about him. I really have no idea why he is really here, but it’s not for a violent crime like murder or he would be in a different prison.

He's already been here for 6 years and is always in a good mood. I've been here for a couple months and I can barely tolerate it. The only thing that keeps me somewhat sane and optimistic is the knowledge that I only have a little over one month left before I am free. I can't wait. I pray every day for a miracle to get me out of here ASAP and I don't even believe in gods of any religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment