Thursday 31 January 2013

(Day 194) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 99 D-57

sit-upschair-lifts
1000
Breakfast, lunch & dinner = January 2

Yesterday, the new worker he's really just a kid-- maybe 18 or 19, asked me to draw a picture of his girlfriend and him on the same page. As I have mentioned previously, I don't really like doing people’s portraits and especially don't like drawing for anybody without some sort of compensation. I've spent years learning how to draw well enough that people are impressed enough to pay me to do it. Why would I suddenly start doing it for free? Anyway, I thought what the hell, why not? And I drew the picture. It took me maybe 20 or 30 minutes out of my daily 23 hours of boredom.

And then today the kid reminded me of why I dislike doing shit for free. I don't know what he did with the picture I gave him, but he came back and asked me to do it again... I'm not a human photocopy machine. You don't just push a button and expect something to come out of my asshole. I'm sure it took some courage to ask me in the first place. I respect that and was happy to do it the first time, but if you are ever in the position of asking any artist of any discipline to do something for free remember, it's their job and livelihood. It doesn't have to be millions of dollars in compensation, but don't take advantage of a kind heart. I felt bad having to say no, but I'm not a circus act. Even in jail, it’s still my job. It takes effort and time, no matter how fast and effortless it seems. I guess I'll look at the picture I gave him before and see what he did to it. Maybe he tried to copy it or trace it. If it’s ruined, I might redraw it, but if he just wants to have two pictures, then forget it. Show me some money, honey, and I'll happily prostitute myself.

There's nothing wrong with picture I gave him. He wanted me to make another copy. Use a photocopy machine, kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment