Thursday 13 September 2012

(Day 55) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 42

Not much happened today. I talk to my mom, M and L on the phone. L sent me some more books and notebooks in the mail. M started her job at  again. Mom started teaching the Outsiders again.

As much of it as I love my sister, I know we will never see eye-to-eye on lifestyle choices. In some ways I envy her family and her life and in other ways, I wouldn't want that in a million years. However, as long as she's happy, it doesn't really matter what I think does it?

Mostly, I just read and napped the day away. I don't really interact with any of the other detainees since they are all gone in a couple days anyway. For one thing, none of the Chinese speak English and I don't speak Chinese, and when I do interact with detainees, they turn out to be mentally unbalanced, like the unchristian Nigerian and Egyptian who won't listen. The Pakistani was moved to a different cell last week and is going home tomorrow. Of the new detainees, I'm wary of those who are overly friendly, rushing over to me in a bid to be my new best friend. I don't give a fuck. I'd rather read and educate myself, write and draw, than play some dumb card game and watch stupid drama/soap operas in a foreign language. I'm not against meeting people and making new friends, but I'm ironically intolerant of intolerant close-minded people.

No comments:

Post a Comment