Sunday 2 September 2012

(Day 44) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 31

Maybe I should just change the title of my blog to "things that pissed me off today..."

One of the Chinese guys takes at least three showers a day. He took a shower both before and after lunch. How dirty do you do you get sitting around doing nothing? The same guy has an annoying habit of changing the channel when 8 other people are watching TV, and he always chooses Korean soap operas or game /talk shows, which suck at the best of times. the Korean method of acting is screaming and yelling or balling her eyes out. I was forced to watch a show of amateurs singers singing trot music which is sort of like big band music except the more the singers sound like a dying cat, the more the audience cheers for you. The Nigerian always take the remote and change the channel first thing in the morning to the news and if there is a sporting event on we have to watch it, even if someone else has already chosen a program to watch.

One of the other Chinese guys likes to vocalize his spitting very loudly, even at 3 am. I have often been woken to the sound of him hacking up a lung, and throughout the day, the same sound will assault the ears regularly. I don't understand the need to hork loudly every time you spit and to spit a dozen times a day. I've smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 20 years and I've never felt the need to spit so much and to make such a production out of it that the whole cell block is aware of it.

And speaking of smoking, its been 6 weeks since I had one and its true-- my sense of smell is greatly improved... for the worse. I think I prefer my sense of smell while I was still smoking. Ignorance is bliss. I've become much more aware of other people's body odor and bad breath.

Lunch was the same as the last 6 weeks, so I just didn't bother, but I was so hungry by dinner, I didn't care if it was the same as the last 6 weeks.

If I want to use the phone, I need to stand beside it and wait for the Vietnamese, Indonesian or Chinese guy, who takes three showers a day, to get off it because they are practically on it all day. I wonder how they afford it because all I spend my money on his phone cards. I've spent about $150 in four weeks and I'm not on the phone that often. Oh, well. By this time next week, there will be a whole new group of people to piss me off for different reasons.

If we spoke the same language, I'd ask the horker if he hears anybody else losing a lung, especially at 3 am and I'd ask the shower taker if he got special permission to go home from work in the middle of the day so he could shower.

On a side note, I'd ask the Nigerian if he often swears in another language at home so that those around him can hear him call people a "son of a bitch."

No comments:

Post a Comment