Thursday 28 March 2013

(Day 251) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center Day 1 (Part 2) D-?

sit-upspush-upschair-lifts
100100100

Breakfast bread with brown sugar
2 eggs
soy milk
Lunch rice & kimchi
kimchi soup
Korean style pancake
Dinnerrice & kimchi
slimy seaweed salad
seafood stew
soy milk

There’s now a different menu every day at Hwaseong, but it's essentially the same-- rice kimchi and watery soup.

One of the Vietnamese went home this morning. One of these days that person will be me. Hopefully sooner, rather than later. I was able to talk to my mom and tell her about my little adventure with my documents being shredded and physically abused. Of course, she is incensed and currently writing an email to the Department of Foreign Affairs in Canada. I also left a message with the Canadian embassy. Later, I talked to Z again. Talking to her has changed over the years. We used to talk about things like school and home, but now we talk about such things as politics, society or religion... actual interesting subjects. She's turned into a little adult. It’s cool. Now I can truly corrupt my offspring.

The non-Christian Christian is still here. It's been 18 months for him. I've had a hard time dealing with 8 months. I can't even comprehend 10 more months of this shit. It's no wonder he's angry and intolerant of the other detainees. I don't blame him. I've been thinking about how well I'd be able to readjust to society when I go back to Canada. There is reverse culture shock to deal with as well.

I had a meeting with my caseworker today. It was basically a repeat of “I don't have any money and I can't get any money from the Canadian embassy, my family or friends, so if I'm going to be deported, the Korean government is going to have to pay for it.” Making me pay for my crimes has ended up costing the Korean government a lot of money to feed and house me for 8 months and deport me. I also talked to my embassy eventually. They can't do much other than listen; maybe complain on my behalf over my treatment. They also told me to have a good weekend since it is Easter in Canada and although they are in Korea, the embassy workers follow Canadian holidays and won't be back until Tuesday. Lazy buggers. The civil service gets paid too much for what they actually do. They justify it by making the laws that administer everything. The children are running the candy store.

I'm finding it impossible to sleep. I just spent 5 months in a small room by myself. It was lonely, but it was very quiet. Now I am in a large room with 12 men. All of them snoring a different volumes and frequencies. It’s loud and distracting. It's like being in a swamp with a symphony of frogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment