Saturday 26 January 2013

(Day 189) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 94 D-62

sit-upschair-lifts
1000
Breakfast, lunch & dinner = January 4

One of the new workers saw my origami penguin and brought me some origami paper today. I've been using scrap paper. Now I have a new menagerie of paper animals, except now they're all colorful. In exchange or as a sign of appreciation for the paper, I drew instructions how to make the penguin step by step. That’s the first thing I've drawn in a month.

Totally lacking in the inspiration department sitting in my 1 m x 2 m cell day after day. I've been writing a novel instead of drawing, so it’s not been a total waste. I wrote three thousand words this morning and this entry is the final one in this notebook that I started November 7th. Another 30,000 words in about 2 and a half months and a fourth notebook started on my daily diary while I'm in jail. I wrote three books and drew almost 80 pictures in 6 months. What did you do? Probably had much more fun than I did. It's not much fun in jail, regardless of how much work I got done.

I used to know how to make a lot more things from origami like Yoda, but from memory, I can make a penguin, a dragon, a turtle, a frog, a crane, a lily, two types of roses, the Millennium Falcon, an X-wing, a TIE fighter, and a F-22 fighter jet. Making flowers from paper or napkins is a great way to pick up girls in a bar or coffee shop, or wherever you go to pick up girls... or boys, if that's your thing.

I drew a picture today. I didn't realize it's been exactly one month since I drew the last picture. That's a pretty long time even for me. It felt good, natural, almost Zen-like, compared to writing and thinking all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment