Monday 10 December 2012

(Day 142) Seoul Nambu Correctional Facility-day 47 D-109

sit-upschair-lifts
1000
Breakfast, lunch & dinner = December 2


Getting the paper late was actually beneficial because it gave me something to do this morning. Actually, I did the same thing I do every Sunday morning here, I read the paper. Except this time, it was all new news, instead all old news.

Then, I watch some stupid show about Koreans being amazed of a dog who lived off of scraps, or pretty much eat anything people fed it. Then there was a ram that head-butted anyone it that encroached on its territory, especially when ewes were around. After that they had a dog that howled and cried when it was tied up with a 5 foot chain. As a person confined to a 2 m by 1 m room, I can relate. What do you fucking expect from the behaviour of all three animals?  To compare the usual treatment of animals here to North America, would be considered animal abuse. And that's not even including the practice of canines on the lunch menu. Lots of Asian cultures do the same thing, but Korea seems to get the most publicity for it.

I had to turn the TV off when the dog’s owner cooked beef and onion soup with rice for it because it had puppies. It’s a fucking dog! Just give it the raw beef if you feel sorry for it. Dogs don't know how to cook; they don't eat vegetables or grains naturally, so why would you make a meal for it like it was human? When it comes to domestic animals, Koreans are clueless. Most dogs spend their entire lives chained up outside and I'm not exaggerating in any way. If they are small dogs and they live in an apartment, they will do their business on a mat in the bathroom specially made and purchased for such an occasion, and if they are taken outside, they are carried. No house training or daily walks for these dogs.

I have a calendar in my cell and the menu also tells me to date each meal is served on. In addition, the heading of each and every entry in this diary tells me the total days I've been locked up, the current day I've been in this particular prison, and how many days I have left as well as the actual date. As each day goes by I mark the calendar, the menu and each entry in this diary. Since I was able to buy highlighters with 5 different colors, I've even color coded everything-- calendar, menu, diary, purchase and item list... everything. I also mark each day on the calendar that my fine drops by $1000. It may seem obsessive, but it makes me feel better to see numbers countdown and dates getting ticked off. Now at a glance, I can tell you there are exactly three weeks left to this month as of tomorrow, and 15 days until Christmas. 10 days until I only owe 5000 dollars, 109 days until I owe $0. I've been locked up for 142 days and I've been here for 47 days. When I'm done it will have been 250 days in total, not including the inevitable incarceration at Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center again when I'm finished here. I bet there are some inmates hear that could tell you how many hours they've been here. I can't tell that until I look at my cell phone again because I called my sister then and it will have marked the time I called.

No comments:

Post a Comment