Wednesday 10 October 2012

(Day 82) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 69 C-14

sit-ups push-ups chairlifts
2 x 50 (am) + 2 x 50 (pm) 2 x 50 (am) + 2 x 50 (pm) 3 x 30 (am) + 2 x 30, + 40 (pm)

Breakfast 2 hard boiled eggs
muffins
orange soy drink
Lunch kimchi
chicken
soy bean stew
Dinnerkimchi
some sort of pasta salad
kimchi stew with pasta

In order to develop it into a habit, I decided to try to do half of my exercises as soon as I'm awake and increase the amount so I'm doing about 200 reps of each per day, in addition to the no rice diet. I figured since I only have 14 days left here, the good stuff I started should continue, or I should at least try to continue, such as no smoking and daily exercise. Maybe I'll live longer than my dad, and his dad, as a result.

We got 2 new detainees, both of them Chinese. That makes a total of 10 Chinese and 6 others of various nationalities. It's getting a little crowded, but I'm just trying to avoid and interaction with just 2 of them-- who aren't really Chinese, but not exactly Korean either.

And this same afternoon, 3 Chinese are on their way home back to China. Easy come, easy go. There are still 7 of them here, 2 being the one who walks and the one who yells. Too bad I can't get rid of them as easy, or better yet, leave myself. No sooner had 3 left, when 2 more arrived.

The room supervisors announced that we are no longer allowed to play cards after the lights go out. In typical Korean fashion, when I asked why, he said it was part of the rules and always had been. They had been ordered by their boss to stop us and they were only following orders and passing it on to us. And of course, right at this minute, as I write this at 11:30 PM, there is a card game going on in the sleeping area, in the dark. Trying to enforce it is an impossible task. They would have to take all the cards away from all the cells. In our cell alone, there are at least 5 decks of cards because it's one of the personal items we can purchase on Tuesdays and Fridays.

During the day, that's all some of the detainees do all day. Most of them can't draw, like to write or have awesome friends to bring them a crap-load of books to read. Taking the cards away might start a riot, which personally, I'd find kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment