Wednesday 26 September 2012

(Day 68) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 55 C-28

sit-ups push-ups chairlifts
1 x 100 1 x 30 2 x 30, 1 x 40

Breakfast 2 hard boiled eggs
soy milk
caramel flavoured bread
Lunch rice
kimchi
spicy chicken soup
2 pieces of fish
Dinnerrice
kimchi
fried chicken
veggies in hot water


is there some sort of cutoff age for being kind and considerate and being an asshole?

Chinese who walks and the Chinese who yells are both being nice to the Russian kid. Showing him where to put his mattress, what to do at roll call and meal time, giving him advice... To every other detainee that has joined our cell since I've been here, they have ignored, if not been downright rude and outright hostile. Of course, everybody is being nice to the kid because he's a kid, but why not be nice to everyone?

I would assume it's the first time in an immigration detention center for everyone. Since they are deported out of the country, the likelihood of being here again is small, if not non-existent. We could all use some friendly advice about where to put our bedding and what to do at roll call and meal times. I've changed cells enough times, I just demand where I should go, instead of asking politely and most people have heard of the Canadian in their midst, so I don't need to go around introducing myself or making friends.

Talked to L today. I've had a really hard time getting a hold of her lately. A simple explanation-- she was getting shagged. So, we talked about the benefits of shagging members of the same age and culture. Mainly no pretense and fewer misunderstandings. It is what it is and nothing gets lost in translation, figuratively and literally. Good for her.

Been a pretty uneventful day. The Russian kid is still here. The Chinese who walks and the Chinese who yells are still rude and inconsiderate (to be fair, the other Chinese are okay...) And Mr. Asshole the guard is working the night shift again.

4 comments:

  1. Who is 'L'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, Are you serious? Who are YOU? It's a person I know. Since I don't have anybody's permission, nor do I care to identify everybody in my life, they shall remain anonymous, just like you.

    Just as you have the right/privilege to post any comments you want without identifying yourself or being censored, the people I write about, also have a right to privacy.

    If you know me, and my friends, then you'd probably know who "L" is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I understand. I don't know you and didn't mean for you to identify a name, but I thought it might be interesting to know the general role of the person to perhaps fill in the story a bit (friend, ex-gf, etc), since I've been reading through the narrative and have noticed the individual is mentioned in other entries. I understand why you wouldn't why to disclose either though. That's all I meant.

    I enjoy the postings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. L is just a very good friend who helped me when I needed it most. She's a girl, and a drinking buddy. And a mother and a wife, and a daughter. She's your friend when you needed one.

    Thanks for the praise, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete