Monday 24 September 2012

(Day 66) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 53 C-30

sit-ups push-ups chairlifts
10 x 20 reps 5 x 20 reps 5 x 20 reps

Breakfast 2 hard boiled eggs
Almond soy drink
bread with red bean filling
Lunch rice mixed with veggies
kimchi
egg drop soup
Dinnerrice
kimchi
bean sprouts in hot water & kimchi
cucumber kimchi

Only one month to go until my potential release date and potentially the longest month of my life...

Interesting observation about lunch... The rice was served with mixed vegetables and most of the Chinese threw it out without eating because it wasn't plain white rice. Personally, I hate plain white rice and always mix it with whatever is available, usually vegetables... There's even a western product specifically meant to be mixed with rice. Most western meals involving rice usually have it mixed with something, but in Asia, boring plain, bland white rice is the way to go.


Awesome dinner! We got rice with kimchi! Cucumber kimchi! And soup with kimchi! Kimchi, kimchi, kimchi! Giving Koreans stomach cancer since the Portuguese introduced red peppers to the Japanese 500 years ago!

Our night shift guards tonight also included Mr. Asshole, himself. Our evening is shaping up to be full of fun, games and other surprises. I think I'll just hide out until tomorrow morning...

The Chinese who walks is like a child at the playground who takes his ball home when things don't go his way. He was sitting inside the sleeping area playing cards by himself and got so upset that he couldn't watch what he wanted, he actually came into the common area and took the remote away from us. Normally I would make a fuss and call the guards, but since we have Mr. Asshole on duty, I'm just going to have to suck it up. Maybe I can change cells tomorrow. However, one of the Chinese wants me to draw a picture of his daughter from a photo. I said I would do it for $100. He countered with $50. I may as well try to make some money while I'm here and since I'm not good at gambling with cards, who knows? If I do a good job, maybe some of the other detainees will be willing to pay me $50 as well for portraits of family members. I might end up walking out of here with more money than I walked in with if I do enough portraits. Just silly speculation at this point though, and hard to do without pencils or erasers. There's no room for error with only a marker.

The other guard who works with Mr. Asshole just got into a yelling match with another detainee in the cell next to us. It seems to be a running theme with guys-- tiny pricks with big badges-- the most common story on the planet. Give a small dude some authority and they think they're a little Napoleon. I wonder if they're going to throw him into solitary tonight? It took 7 of them to put me into solitary, and I'm kind of small... this is Asia though, I'm practically a giant here... and my arms, shoulders and chest have gotten noticeably bigger since I've been here due to my exercise regime.

... I guess you only go to solitary if you swear at the guards in English...

No comments:

Post a Comment