Friday 31 August 2012

(Day 42) Hwaseong Immigration Detention Center-day 29

It seems like the Nigerian and Pakistani are locked in a battle for my soul. The Pakistani is always pointing out that the Koran is better because it was written by one person and the Nigerian likes to point out of the Bible is better because it was written by multiple people witnessing the same events, giving more credence to it being true. What they fail to realize is I don't care. To me it's philosophy and holds as much truth as the paganism of the Greeks, Romans, Norse and druids. They are stories told by primitive people to explain the unexplainable,  most of which has been explained quite well with science in the last five hundred years. I don't need faith, I have proof and no amount of ancient literature is going to convince me otherwise. I will admit however, that all religious texts have merit as guides to living a good fulfilling life and by all, I'm including Taoism, Confuciusism, Buddhism, Hinduism and any other religion you can think of.

The same soup has now been served 3 times in a row. So, for three meals, we've been served plain white rice, kimchi and egg drop soup. The first version had coleslaw and fried chicken. The second version had some sort of bean sprout salad and chicken in the soup and today's version was served with mandu. They finally served a different soup at dinner, as well as a salad made with slimy seaweed.

I talk to P and L today. I heard Guinness barking at the pizza guy, I miss that dog (I miss pizza). Both P and L are sending a package of books to me in the mail. L is going to send me a new sketch and notebook, too. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I have great friends. I should really make more of an effort to reciprocate their friendship.

Its Friday, so the current cell population is 12. The Filipino who went home this morning has been replaced by another Filipino. The Burmese kid also went home this morning. He was replaced by an Indonesian. The population breakdown going into the weekend is: 1 Canadian 1 Nigerian, 1 Pakistani, 1 Filipino, 1 Indonesian, 2 Vietnamese and 5 Chinese.

Without any explanation, the entire cell block was moved to a different wing of the immigration center. The cell is essentially the same, but we lost the door frame we were using for chin-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment